Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Panacea?

Yesterday I received an e-mail from a subscriber who was concerned, because they thought stillness was a panacea and had not been able to attain that.

Let me say that I do not believe that stillness, or certainly this experiment is a panacea. And in my 51 years, I have not found any single thing to be a cure-all.

I believe that these meditative practices and structure are a tool to help you be more in a moment, more of the time. And they help you to feel more peaceful, more of the time.

And as a result of being more peaceful and more in a moment, with less chatter in in our heads, there is more space to recognize our patterns, things that get in the way, our intuition, gain clarity and many more helpful things.

When an issue or a block is deep, then I have other tools that I use to clear the blocks that I have identified from this place of stillness. Those of you who are in my life transformation tools and more program may want to take out some of those tools now if you find you are either resisting stillness, not finding time for it, or have identified patterns in your way as a result of being still.

And even now when I have this big box of tools that work very well, sometimes I need an outside perspective or outside help. And each time I get outside help, I learn more tools that I can use both for myself and to teach others.

Some of you are under the mis-perception that I am totally trying to heal my arm with the stillness meditations. That is not the case. The stillness helps to relax the muscles in my arm so there is not as much pain, and it also helps me to be more in a moment and more conscious so I can take better care of my arm, and also identify any emotional causes related to this injury.

But please note that I am seeing a chiropractor, who is helping me through adjustments and exercises to hopefully heal this arm and shoulder without surgery. And if it turns out I need surgery, then that is what I will do. And I am also working to identify and heal any emotional causes.(I believe strongly in the mind-body connection)

So know that my hope is that you find these meditations and the structure very helpful and that you gain a variety of benefits from it, but it is mot a panacea.

Let us know what you are noticing and remember to be kind and patient with yourself. Being still requires a strong commitment to it, but that's a subject for another day.

4 comments:

Joan said...

Anything that helps us to pull back from our daily concerns in order to see the bigger picture from a different perspective is helpful.
I would recommend that the person who is having difficulty getting to a place of stillness keep trying and just try to be more of an observer of herself in the process rather than caught up in mind chatter or whatever the obstacle may be.

Joan

nycher said...

I am finding the meditations to be extremely helpful for me. Over the past few days, I did not always remember to be still every hour, but I found that the meditations really helped me to feel more energized throughout the day. I think this would be a great practice for anyone suffering from fatigue do to illness or just from a very busy schedule. I have also found that the meditaions have relieved some of the anxiety that I sometimes feel thoughout the day. Again, I think this is really worth a try for anyone suffering from extreme stress, anxiety, etc.

This morning I awoke to chaos...phone and doorbell ringing, certified letter from the IRS (not usually a good sign), my dog breaking through the screen door to "greet' the mail person...Needless to say I did not begin my day with the morning meditaion, and it has taken me until now to really get back to a peaceful place. I did try to do the short meditations every couple of hours today, and I know that it helped me to get back to feeling balanced. Hopefully tomorrow I will begin the day with the morning meditation, and that will help to set the tone for the day.

gardenmom said...

Although I do not practice the stillness each hour yet, I have done the excercise several times today. After one meditation today, I felt at ease and expanded. As I resumed my work, I received notification that a huge project had been postponed, thus opening time for me to complete other large and looming projects that I was nervous about just before the meditation... I am so grateful for this GRACE.

Gretchen Alt-Cooper said...

For various reasons I have had problems meditating regularly over the last week - but when I do, I feel the benefit.

After an extremely stressful period, both in my work and personal life, I am skirting "the black hole" of depression and need to use every tool at my disposal to avoid sliding into it. I firmly believe that the practice of meditation can only help, even if it is spasmodic at present.

The meditations provided are clear, simple, calming. I've downloaded them onto my MP3 player so I can do the long one at home at the beginning and end of the day.

Good wishes to all those involved in this - I look forward to hearing your stories.

Welcome to the Stillness Experiment

Welcome to all who would like more stillness, peace and joy in their life.

I started this experiment for a variety of reasons. the main reason is that I personally need more structure to remind me to be quiet. And I wanted to structure to be easy to use and not take a lot of time.

I've been a student of stillness for a long time and know its benefits. And yet somehow, I still manage to get out of the habit. I will think I haven't mastered it and don't need to practice any more. But that is only my ego fooling me.

I also started this experiment because I am curious about what would be available if many people around the world were practicing stillness at the same time and for an extended period of time, such as 30 days.

You see when you are still, you are not in resistance. And when we are not in resistance with ourselves or others, what is possible in our lives and in their lives.? And even in the lives of those who do not participate because our energy is connected to others energy.

I had many reasons not to start this experiment. The biggest of which is that I have a shoulder injury/torn rotator cuff. It is very painful at times and is interfering with my sleep. So I thought to myself, how can I possibly be quiet when I am having this much pain?

And then I awakened and remembered that being still is probably the best thing I could do for myself right now. And as I re-engaged in my stillness exercises, I found I was much better able to be with my injury and indeed the pain lessened.

I imagine you have reasons to why this might not be the best time for you to be still or participate in this experiment. I encourage you to think of those reasons, as the very reason for you to participate right now. There is never a great time to do this according to our ego.

There will never be a time; a time when we have nothing going on in our lives. Stillness does not take away from what is going on in your life. Rather, it enhances your life.

You may have a concern about whether you will be able to do this regularl y---to set aside time and to remember to be quiet. for one minute every hour. I encourage you to let go of that concern. You will do what ever you do, and it will be just perfect. Haves the intent to learn from what ever you do and don't do an experiment. I don't know that I will remember or take the time to do it every hour. Even know that if my commitment. And I will notice what comes up to get in my way both inside of me and outside of me. And it will all be very interesting.

I look forward to being on this journey with you. The more the merrier. So please invite your friends to play with us. They can sign up at www.Balancedliving.com/stillness.html.

Warmly,

Stacey